Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday, March 5-Independence Days Post #2

1. Plant something.

Not yet!! Snow on the ground when I woke up this morning! I did get my seeds for making seed bombs for May 1st, International Sunflower Guerrilla Gardening Day!
Link here!

And I got some other seeds in a swap. Haven't started seed starters yet... must get my some space first to start them. I got potting soil though!

2. Harvest something.

Too cold and snowy/rainy...nothing to harvest. : (

3. Preserve something.

I got an awesome score of red peppers, hot peppers, and other veggies at the "damaged produce" section of Stop & Shop. So I've been cutting them up and freezing them. I still have pounds and pounds to finish. Tomorrow is my day off, so I'll be finishing filling my freezer!

4. Prep something.

Same prepping as last week. But, the Frugal-Along 2010 on craftster has a theme for March of decluttering, so I have big plans for this month!

5. Cook something.

With all the seitan I made last week I made Kentucky Fried seitan, one of Misha's favorite dinners!

Here's a good recipe from Vegan Dad, one of my favorite cooking blogs.... I deep fry mine, but want to start using less oil, so I'm going to try pan frying next time. We ate it all up...so now I have to make more seitan this weekend.

INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- salt, pepper, nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 6 slices of seitan, or seitan cutlets
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt, white pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, chopped
TIP! If you don't have breadcrumbs, process some cornflakes in the blender.

METHOD:
1. Heat oil in frying pan in med-hi.
2. Put bread crumbs in a medium bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast flakes if desired.
3. Put soymilk in another medium bowl. Stir in lemon juice until soymilk thickens.
4. Dip seitan cutlet in soymilk mixture, then roll in breadcrumbs, then back in the soymilk, then coat again in crumbs.
5. Fry for 4-5 mins per side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

1. Melt margarine on medium in a saucepan.
2. Whisk in flour, and continue to whisk until light brown.
3. Slowly whisk in soymilk and lemon juice. Bring to a slow boil, until mixture thickens.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add rosemary.

6. Manage your reserves.

Same as last week. My pantry is a disaster.

7. Work on local food systems.

I signed up for my CSA, for a full season which goes until December!!! June through December, yay!

And I found a local buying club. First order will be soon.... looking forward to that!!!

Well...that's my Independence Days for this week. More next Friday.

No comments: