Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Nettle Soup!

Well, here's lunch. I based it on a recipe from http://lemonbasil.blogspot.com, but here's my version....

* 3 Tablespoons olive oil
* 2 shallots, minced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced... Read More
* 1/2 cup chives
* 1/2 pound wild nettle tops
* 1 qua
rt veggie broth
* Salt and Pepper
* 1 cup half and half

Procedure:

1. Saute shallots, garlic, and garlic greens in olive oil. Add nettles.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil.
3. Cover and simmer until the nettles are very soft, about 8-10 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste, add half and half, and puree using blender.
5. I browned up some shallots as a garnish.

It was a bit thinner than I usually enjoy (I'm a stew girl!), but was delicious!!!

Now, to
wait a few more weeks until more nettles pop up. I am now on nettle duty at the garden! Yummers.

The nettles... note the gloves. They were tricky to work with! I just used the top leaves of any given plant.










Shallots and chives and garlic. I love shallots.











The soup itself. It tasted almost like fresh green pea soup. But better. Absolutely awesome.










Now I just need to find a good purslane recipe, because that is the other weed that is absolutely rampant in the whole garden! Yay for weed eating.

With the leftover nettles bits I am making a nettle tincture (medicinal) and nettle "tea" for my garden... just soak nettles in water for 2-3 weeks, and use the resulting liquid as fertilizer.

I totally slacked on vegan eating today. But tomorrow... vegan Swedish meatballs with a vegan cream sauce.

No comments: